The Australian Native Bee Book by Tim Heard is one of the most popular books on the topic. It comes with many images, illustrations, easy to understand descriptions and more. This guide includes information on:
- Bee biology, behaviour, nesting, social life and foraging
- Building and design of the OATH
- Propagation and hive transfers/rescues
- Sugarbag honey, and collecting it from hives
- Hive management, including identifying and dealing with pests
- The use of stingless bees for pollination – from small gardens to commercial crops
- & more!
This book is great for beginners and experts alike, and the perfect gift for a native bee enthusiast.
I brought this book as a gift for my husband who teaches science, thinking it would be a good reference book. But I got reading it, and discovered so much about our native Aussie bees it was a wonderful surprise! Well researched, easy to read information, with lots of practical hints for those who want to encourage or keep native bee hives. Highly recommend just for the joy of it.
What a beautiful, informative, well presented book. An excellent resource for anyone who has an interest in the bees of Australia.
Great book very helpful and informative
This is our second copy, this one is for friends.